We have some good news! Rep. Ina Minjarez (D-San Antonio) has submitted a bill for Texas to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.
The bill number is HB 496.
Please email, call, or write to your state rep to ask him or her to support this important bill! If you are not sure who your representative is, click here and look for “Who Represents Me?” in the lower right column. And please, help us spread the word — pass this news on to your friends and family, and ask if they’ll demand change from their state rep.
We need a massive surge of support for this bill, so that we finally have a fair process for presidential elections. Every vote should count equally.
We’ve heard positive noises from the following reps. Two of them (marked with *) are poised to co-author the bill.
- Rep. Richard Peña Raymond * (D-Laredo) — email or call 512-463-0558
- Rep. Celia Israel * (D-Austin) — email or call 512-463-0821
- Rep. Raphael Anchia (D-Dallas) — email or call 512-463-0746
- Rep. Gina Hinojosa (D-Austin) — email or call 512-463-0668
- Rep. Donna Howard (D-Austin) — email or call 512-463-0631
- Rep. Eddie Rodriguez (D-Austin) — email or call 512-463-0674
If one of these represents your district, thank them for their support of a fairer democracy where every vote is counted equally, and encourage them to become a co-author or co-sponsor of the bill.
We’ve also talked with the following legislators who haven’t committed YET. If they heard from you maybe they would co-sponsor the bill.
- Rep. Cindy Burkett (R-Garland) — email or call 512-463-0464
- Rep. Sarah Davis (R-Houston) — email or call 512-463-0389
- Rep. Drew Darby (R-San Angelo) — email or call 512-463-0331
- Rep. Charlie Geren (R-River Oaks) — email or call 512-463-0610
- Rep. Joe Moody (D-El Paso) — email or call 512-463-0728
- Rep. Andrew Murr (R-Kerrville) — email or call 512-463-0536
- Rep. Paul Workman (R-Austin) — email or call 512-463-0652
If one of these represents your House district, please encourage them to co-sponsor the bill.
Although we have spoken with several Senators, none has filed an NPVIC bill on the Senate side yet. When we receive notice of a Senate bill number, we will let you know.
Thanks for helping us ensure that every vote counts equally in our presidential elections!