Stewart Snider, Jaynna Sims, Carol ?, Charlie Jackson, Dave Rawlins, Lynn Willman, Teresa Taylor
- No local tax dollars spent on immigration enforcement which is a federal issue.
- Schools are already cutting positions. Checking documentation status of students takes additional manpower.
Opposition to HB12 (a “sanctuary city bill”)
- Phone calls
- Outreach to Law Enforcement — Find out which Texas police departments have a position on HB12. Approach police departments and ask: 1) Do they have a position on these bills? 2) What is financial impact of enforcing bills like this 3) What is the impact on existing services?
o Stewart volunteered to contact Dallas/Ft. Worth police dept.
o Jaynna volunteered to contact police in her East Texas home town.
o Teresa volunteered to contact Round Rock
o Lynn volunteered to contact Williamson County.
o Jaynna volunteered to approach her neighborhood association’s police liaison regarding bill
o Charlie volunteered to locate recent Statesman article stating that police are not investigating home break-ins due to lack of resources
- Develop a fact sheet/position statement for the CP immigration group
- The Legislative Budget Board has the responsibility of identifying the financial impact of each piece of legislation.
- Outreach to Business
· Can we find businesses that have taken a position on these bills?
· Teresa volunteered to contract TRUST regarding outreach to business.
· Charlie is interested in outreach to business.
- Outreach to Education
· Do event with the Dream Act kids? Use this as a tool to identify sympathetic educators? We can plan a presentation by the Dream Act kids as the next immigration event after Bob Libal presents on May 7th.
· Esther (Coordinator, Austin Immigrant Rights Coalition) may have education contacts.
· Jaynna may be able to do some outreach to educators.
- Outreach to Faith Communities
o Austin Interfaith
o Christian Life Coalition
o Trinity Methodist
o Contact Carolyn Caffrey
o Frank Krebs? Church on Oltorf (WDP supporter).
o Sid Hall?
· Find out religion of legislators. Quote or use someone from same church to approach them.
· Dave has located statement by Texas Impact. (Thanks Dave!). Note the list of signatories on this statement.
- Send broadcast message to Coffee Partiers around Texas. Get them on RITA announcement list with opt out option.
- Teresa already talking with Diane regarding e-mail communications.
- Jaynna volunteered to help collate immigrant-related information.
- We can approach journalists with story ideas in the hope of getting media coverage. Example: A story featuring the Worker Defense Project bills, and emergency room doctors/personnel.
- Paul Workman has Tea Party connections and has also expressed support for workers compensation.
- Approach MALDEF’s list of “soft targets”.