I thought that I would share my notes from Frances Moore Lappé’s keynote address at the 2010 CPM Convention. I hope to post notes from workshops that I attended also so stay tuned. Lappé’s talk was about the Spiral of Powerlessness.
There are a number of human capacities we can count on:
- need for meaning
- need for power / efficacy
There are three conditions proven to bring out the WORST in us:
- concentrated power
- lack of transparency
- blaming “the other”
Lappé suggests that we must dissolve these and bring about their opposites to make change.
There are three conditions proven to bring out the BEST in us:
- disbursement of power [my addition: i.e. Fair Elections Now Act]
- transparency [my addition: i.e. Disclose Act]
- mutual accountability
There are three course changers:
- move from a magical monopoly market to a democratic market
- move from a victims/blamers culture to an empowerment/mutuality culture.
- move from a politics driven by money to a politics driven by citizen’s values